Tuesday 1 December 2009

World AIDS Day 2009

Since I have the widget/gadget thing in my sidebar (though it doesn't seem to be working as I write this) I thought I should go off topic and mention that today is World AIDS Day.

There are an estimated 33.4 million people living with HIV in the world. There are ways to prevent the spread of the disease and drugs to delay the onset of AIDS, yet the disease keeps speading killing and affecting the lives of so many.

Recently there has been some signs of the spread of the disease slowing down; an indication that global awareness efforts have had some effect, however there are still millions with the disease.

I have become interested in this cause since reading Three Letter Plague, the true and heartbreaking story of one man's struggle to decide whether or not to get tested and a revealing look at the South African healthcare system which is charged with dealing with the disease.


Please visit this website for more information and ways to help the cause: http://www.google.org/world-aids-day-2009.html

2 comments:

shawnlunn2002 said...

Fantastic blog and seeing as it's such a media discussion topic, a very timely one too.

Nat said...

Thanks! I did mean to write a better more meaningful blog, but time ran away from me. I found it hard to find the words to give the subject justice.