Sunday 20 December 2009

Buffy and Angel Rewatch part 22

B4.13 The I In Team
I enjoy this episode quite a lot. Its a decent and shocking introduction to Adam and I liked the concept of Buffy having allies and back-up when slaying, even if its for a short while. I must admit though it feels a little odd that Buffy would so readily join the Initiative, especially since she's always been a bit of a lone fighter (naturally given the original mythology about the Slayer) but in a way its understandable considering her relationship. Speaking of I found the scenes of them fighting and having sex a bit weird. I know it was meant to be arty but especially with Professor Walsh watching them, it became just odd. I don't know how bothered I am with Maggie Walsh's death. She isn't a likeable character and its good seeing her get her comeuppance but I would've liked to see her reactions to the chaos and destruction Adam causes. (8.5/10)

B4.14 Goodbye Iowa
For some reason this episode doesn't quite feel like a complete episode to me. Yes it is the conclusion of a two parter, but there's a lot going on here that doesn't really get a conclusion apart from the Initiative stuff. For instance, Spike getting beaten up by other demons doesn't seem to have much point and I didn't understand why Tara deliberately botched the spell. Maybe this is all explained in later episodes but I can't really remember.
Despite this, this was a decent enough episode and more funny than I remember. I liked the revelation that the Commandos were getting fed drugs to make them stronger, which makes a lot of sense and the confrontation scenes between Buffy and Riley definitely made their saccharine relationship more interesting. (7.5/10)

A1.13 She
A pretty average episode. One of the biggest problem with it was that the story didn't really get a proper conclusion; Angel made a few threats but nothing was actually solved. This is a little more par for the course in Angel but still it made for a lackluster ending. The story itself was okay, a little silly, and, not in a weird way, but I think I would've liked to see Angel give in to his desires and Jhiera's power over him, just for a little. It can be a little boring with him being so stoic all the time! My favourite bits of the episode are the beginning with the party, which are an excellent set of scenes that boost the whole episode in terms of rating, and Wes finally joining the team officially and his sucking up to Angel which was hilarious. (6/10)

A1.14 I've Got You Under My Skin
I really like this episode; I think its one of the strongest demon of the week storylines either show has done. Unlike many other mystery episodes that use misdirection, knowing the entire storyline doesn't spoil the episode. The exorcism story was done with an inventive twist, in that the boy himself was the evil one, not the demon that possessed him. The boy who plays evil Ryan is a really excellent actor an carries of the role very well. I also like that the episode dealt with Angel's feelings on losing Doyle, which due to his stoicism, we hadn't really seen before. Wesley's daddy issues also turned up here, its a storyline that is never explicitly told, but there are many hints which makes it a more compelling arc for Wesley. (9/10)

1 comment:

shawnlunn2002 said...

I really enjoyed The I I Team but Goodbye Iowa didn't do much for me.

She was an okay episode and I've Got You Under My Skin did give some interesting insight into Wesley so that was good.