Saturday 12 December 2009

Glee and Ugly Betty end of season reviews

A few reviews of shows I’ve been watching lately. Spoilers ahead especially for the video clip of Glee

Glee Season 1 (part 1)

I loved this show from the first time I watched it, but the part 1 finale has confirmed to me just how damn brilliant this show is. Yes the show is very soapy and at times ridiculous, but the writers showed that actually all that was worth it all in the finale episode, tying up most of the storyline threads.

(spoilers)

The songs in “Sectionals” weren’t my favourite this season, there were a couple I didn’t know and one I didn’t like but they were all enjoyable. The final song a cover of Kelly Clarkson’s “My Life Would Suck Without You” was just superb and it was great to see all the kids dance and incorporate moves from previous dances. Plus of course there was that kiss which was just very Hollywood ending for me- and I loved it!!

(end of spoilers)

I’m definitely going to miss Glee as it doesn’t return in the US until April; however E4 is starting its airing of the show this week (Tuesday at 9pm) with the pilot and I think will begin showing the rest of the episodes in January. After watching some adverts I’m amazed at how different it looks on a big screen rather than my little computer one, so to tide me over until April I’ll hopefully re-watch the show on E4 (though admittedly I might fast forward through some of the more boring storyline bits!!) Also I’ll try and do reviews for each of the episodes on this blog.

Ugly Betty Season 3

Just watched the finale of season 3 and it was a terrific episode, but very emotional as well. I loved the way they did the Daniel/Molly storyline but I liked the Justin one most of all. He’s an excellent character and we don’t see enough of him. His moment with Marc was just adorable. The episode felt a little rushed though as there was a lot of ground to cover in such a short space of time.

Also after watching this episode I've changed my mind a little on the whole Betty ending up with Daniel debate. Just a few weeks ago I thought it was a horrible

idea, but after seeing them together in this episode I can start to see how they could work together. He’s certainly better for her than Betty’s other boyfriends (Henry, Gio, Matt)

Overall the season has been good, but it felt like it has dragged on a lot. The first half of the season wasn’t stellar but it has got better as its gone on. I’m definitely hopeful for the show especially as what I’ve heard about season 4 Stateside sounds good (creatively of course not ratings wise!).

90210 Season 2

This show also wrapped up its first half of the season with rather a good episode. Unsurprisingly for a teen show it included a high school dance but there were reunions (Naomi and Liam) revelations (Annie found out Jasper was a drug dealer and he reveals he knows she ran down his uncle) and great set-ups for the next season (Dixon wanted to re-connect with his birth mother). This show is such a guilty pleasure but one I’m enjoying more and more.



Modern Family- Undeck the Halls/ Season 1

This stellar new show finished on a sentimental note, with a sweet but perhaps less funny episode in which the Dunphy’s cancelled Christmas, Cam and Mitchell got a shopping centre Santa fired and then invited him to dinner to assuage their guilt and Jay tried to incorporate Gloria’s and Manny’s Colombian traditions into his own.

Overall however the series has just been great, there hasn’t been a bad episode yet and I’ve laughed out loud so many times. It also helps that the cast is just amazing as is the writing.





Scrubs Season 9

I was initially dubious about the reboot but quickly became excited once I heard more about it. The new setting invigorates the show and old cast helps the transition. The new characters are all rather good I think. They’re obviously not as developed or as funny yet as the established cast but I think in time they’ll grow into their own. The first two episodes in particular were hilarious and easily funnier than Scrubs in seasons 6/7.

Here's the new opeing credits which as you might remember I was mega excited about seeing. I love them and I might be one of the few people in the world who likes the revamped song! Judge for yourself!


2 comments:

shawnlunn2002 said...

As you know I get to see Glee tonight so I'll blog about it afterwards. Looks interesting.

I've kinda gotten bored with Ugly Betty at this point and I'm hoping that it picks up.

New Scrubs looks okay but I yearn for the earlier seasons.

Great blog as always.

Nat said...

Thanks, hope I didn't spoil too much with the Glee spoilers for the last episode.

UB is meant to have picked up but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

I do miss old Scrubs. seasons 1-3 were really top class.