Tuesday 2 March 2010

Mini Reviews- March 2nd

Grey's Anatomy- 6x06 I Saw What I Saw
A great episode which shows that the show can excel without a couple of key cast members. The re-telling technique using different viewpoints (which weren't that different) is a fairly common one, but the show used it to its advantage and did it well. I picked up on April missing checking the throat when they first showed it, but honestly if it wasn't for the way in which they did the episode, it wouldn't have been as obvious. I was a little sad to see April fired over that mistake, it was a fatal one and she should've been punished, but we've seen doctors do worse on this show. However with the merger, it was an easy axing for the Chief and the board to make. I'm glad Derek called the Chief out on it though.
One thing I liked about this episode was the banter between the Mercy Westers, as a casual viewer I'm enjoying their addition to the show (though I have to ask where are the Mercy Wester attendings? There was Callie but she's the only one to make the transfer- its a little weird)

Dollhouse- 2x11/12 Getting Closer/Hollow Man
Two incredible episodes to send the main arc of this show off in style. The reveal of Boyd being the head of Rossum floored me as did the various deaths- Saunders killing Bennett, Mellie killing herself. Maybe I'm naive but I didn't see any of those shockers coming. There was so much to enjoy in the episodes, Echo was way less annoying here than she has been before, the flashbacks did a good job in explaining what Caroline had been up to and how she got into the Dollhouse and it was fun to watch the gang go to war with Rossum. Honestly, though I'm impressed with the way the writers wrote the episodes to explain the future episode (eg Boyd leaving Claire, whilst hurt was explained by him getting shot when he protected Adelle). It can't have always been easy to make it all fit together.
I am a little disappointed that Boyd was the head of Rossum. Of course as an emotional punch it made for excellent TV but its sad that he wasn't one of the good guys. I think there were a few clues though the season, but I'm not he was always going to be the evil creator.

Dollhouse- 2x13 Epitaph Two
I wish I had re-watched Epitaph One before watching this one as I must admit, I was a little confused on the timeline in places. Otherwise though it was such a good episode. We got to see what the main cast was up to in 2019 and also we got to see them save the world as well. Another review pointed out that this was slightly Hollywood as endings go, but I think the destruction that had taken place in the interim years meant that it wasn't exactly a happy ending (though Priya, Tony and T got a mostly happy ending).
It was an emotional ending though, I was shocked when Paul was dramatically killed and I shed a tear at Topher's sacrifice/death as well (poor Topher). It almost makes me laugh that it was mostly the girls left standing, whilst apart from Victor/Tony all the main male character died- very Joss Whedon! It would have been nice to get some answers as to where the main cast had been and what they had been doing in the last few years. We had some sense of that, but there was a lot left unanswered. Great to see Alpha, Bennett and the future cast back again and I have to give props to all the cast for doing a fantastic job both in this and the final few episodes. Overall though a great and fitting finale to the show.

Brothers and Sisters- 4x07 The Wig Party
I'm a bit annoyed by the stock description of this episode as it only referred to the last few minutes of episode, which spoiled the impact of the episode a little.
Firstly of course, there was Kitty losing her hair. An emotional moment at the fundraiser led to Kitty shaving off all her hair. The scenes were very heartfelt and I like that Kitty chose to do it with her mum and sister rather than her husband, as its obviously a very difficult and horrible thing to go through and it kinda makes sense that she wouldn't necessarily want her husband to be the first person to see her.
The second spoiled reveal was Rebecca's pregnancy, which in all honesty is a bit yawn, is there no other storyline for the pair? Justin constantly diagnosing Rebecca due to his studies at school was funny though and very true to life.

Elsewhere I was thrilled to see Scotty get a storyline separate of Kevin and the Walkers. The cheating dad thing is perhaps a little much in this show considering William's past, but the story had a sweet of predictable ending, and I liked Scotty's maturity in dealing with his father's infidelity and parents separation.
I also liked seeing Nora being pursued by a younger man. Nora in relationships is always good to watch, mostly because Sally Field carries it off so well, but especially this time round as it gives her a break from cancer and from being the overbearing mother that she is. Plus this new guy seems like a lot of fun!

1 comment:

shawnlunn2002 said...

I still have to catch up on Dollhouse but those are good episodes of Grey's Anatomy and Brothers And Sisters.