Tuesday 20 October 2009

TV I'm watching

Glee- the show is still having uneven episodes, the pregnancy storylines are silly and need to go fast, but the musical numbers are still great (apart from the bad dubbing over and autotune). There is definitely sparks of genius in this show and the latest episode ‘Throwdown’ was hilarious, especially die to some great one-liners from Jane Lynch. I liked the voice-over joke as it showed that the show isn’t taking itself too seriously. (its the first sneak peak on this video)



Greek- just when I was contemplating giving this show up for completely losing its quality, ‘The Dork Knight’ comes along and is a pretty decent episode. The boys Comic-Con storyline was the best and I liked Dale’s faith crisis storyline especially as its different from all the other storylines on the show most of which are pretty tired. There also some really funny in-joke lines from Ashley about this being a really long semester (hear hear!) and whether Casey even attends classes anymore. What I liked about the show in the earlier seasons was that whilst the characters engaged in all the usual drama, they still seemed to be doing uni work which kept the show grounded whereas lately it has felt like any other teen drama. Casey and Rebecca are still being really annoying characters in their pursuit to get what they want and the show is definitely suffering from their loss of Frannie as antagonist.

Flashforward- Watched the first 3 episodes of this highly anticipated show and its pretty good, however there are major flaws. As some reviews have pointed out, this show doesn’t have the time or budget to truly capture the global effects of this disaster, which is pretty problematic as this show is about a global events. Though I am pleased they are showing other places other than America as American shows don’t usually do this. The thing that is bothers me the most is that even though the blackout must’ve killed and injured millions, the main characters seem to be going about their lives as usual. A doctor and investigator for the FBI charged with finding out why the blackout happened still have time to go home every night to tuck their daughter into bed, make her breakfast in the morning and both turn up at a parent- teacher meeting. Children are still going to school and ladies are lunching and despite marshal law being instated and some evidence of destruction, there seems to be very little consequence of the blackout with people concentrating on the flashforwards. Surely an event like this would cause widespread panic and emergency service would be rushed off their feet and law enforcement and the government would be working round the clock to be in store law and order and to find out what happened. Instead everyone seems quite relaxed about the here and now.
Despite these flaws the overall premise is enough to keep me interested at least for a few more episodes.

Modern Family- I managed to catch the first episode of this and even though the premise isn’t the greatest and most original, the pilot episode was actually laugh out loud. I like that the families are all related; they had to be connected in some way for the show to work and this is way better than some tenuous ‘they’re all neighbours’ link or something. Here’s my favourite bit from the pilot episode:



I think I’ll carry on watching this one. I’m actually watching way too much TV than I can manage but half an hour shows are great as it they are entertaining and don’t take too long to watch!

2 comments:

shawnlunn2002 said...

I've seen Modern Family on Thursday and I did enjoy it more than I thought I would've done. It could be a fun guilty pleasure series.

I will catch Flashforward at some point, just not yet though.

Nat said...

Modern Family is probably more of just a 'pleasure' show for me rather than a guilty one. Each episode has been pretty consistent in its humour. Hopefully they can keep it up.

I've given up on Flashforward I think, just can't be bothered with it anymore. It can't seem to decide if its a soap or a sci-fi show and it can't seem to manage to balance the two which is a shame.