Friday 23 October 2009

Entourage Season 6 Review

Entourage season 6: This finished recently and it was a mixed season. Whilst being better than 5, it still wasn’t as good as the first 3 seasons. Now I love Entourage- I even have a poster of the show in my room (!) but perhaps it is not a show that has the fundamental ability to go on for multiple episodes as intrinsically it is about 4 guys having fun in LA. There is drama, but maybe not enough to go on for as long as it has.

The season started well, the Drama, Turtle and E moving away from Vince and living their own lives. However this meant that for most of the season Vince had nothing to do except have sex with random girls- literally that’s all we saw him do. Even the stalker storyline turned out to actually involve Turtle and have more significance for his storyline. I did like that Vince didn’t have any movie drama this season as it was the first season this hasn’t happened so it made for a nice change.

I enjoyed Drama’s work storylines for the most part, it did get a bit shaky when he got out of his contract for the new Melrose Place (love that in-joke) but having him get tied to a network exclusively could be interesting for next season.

Turtle probably had the most enjoyable storyline of the season with his relationship with Jamie Lynn (though it ended very sadly) and very promising entry into college to learn how to run a business. I like that he had to go to college to do this and didn’t just his Vince’s Hollywood connections and money to start up a business straight away.

Eric probably had the worst storylines. Professionally I didn’t really like how he closed down his own shop so quickly, but I liked him joining a bigger management firm. His relationships though were ridiculous- constant to and fro-ing between Sloane and the annoying Ashley before finally becoming engaged to Sloane. I’ll forgive it though if E and Sloane stay together though as I think having a wife/fiancé in the mix will really affect the boys and I hope that we get to see the consequences of that next season.

Ari’s storylines were good and bad- the torturing of Lloyd was funny but harsh to watch but I liked the outcome. Wasn’t as sure about how involved he became in Andrew’s affair with the younger agent and how it affected his own life. Felt a bit teenage to me and not in a good way. Still it did provide some good comedic moments.

On the guest star front- the good: David Schwimmer, Jeffery Tambor, Doug Ellin, Melinda Clarke and Dean Cain

the bad: Bono (absolutely cringeworthy and one of the worst and most forced celebrity moments of Entourage)

the slightly awkward: Mark Wahlberg, Tom Brady and Matt Damon (kinda funny but if he wasn’t promoting a worthwhile charity it would’ve been bad)


Overall the season was decent enough and I'll probably like it better on re-watch like I have woth all Entourage seasons. In some ways it was a real return to form, but it was almost like they were trying to hard with storylines and some of them just didn't work. There's a lot of potential for next season though so I'm excited.



No comments: