Saturday 3 October 2009

Cancel or Renew Chart and 90210

I stumbled across the latest cancel/renew chart in SpoilerTV today, provided by TVbyTheNumbers, which (I think) uses various numerical data about shows to rank them to determine whether the show is likely to be renewed or not. These charts are usually more important come May time but they also tend to be fairly accurate. The list won't post so here's a link: Cancel/Renew Chart

This chart posted this week ranks the shows that have already aired and for the majority of shows things are looking good. Out of the shows I watch (or am planning to watch) Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Modern Family, Flashforward, Glee and 90210 (my guilty pleasure see below) are all 'likely to be renewed'.

Two shows I watch are not looking as good. The first Dollhouse is in the 'likely to the cancelled' group. Now this isn't a huge surprise given its timeslot and day and creative quality last season. To see it at the bottom of that list is a little ouch though.
The second more suprisingly is Brothers and Sisters, one of my favourite TV shows. It finds itself in the 'some danger of being cancelled' category. Now Brothers and Sisters has never been the biggest ratings show, but has a decent fanbase and is mostly liked by critics. However it has had some problems last season with Balthazar Getty, Ryan and the Rebecca not being a sibling aftermath. Now hopefully its ratings will pick up over the season, as I would be truly upset to have this show finish or worse be cruelly cancelled with closure this season. I know the show won't do a desperate Housewives and get up to 7 seasons, but its stellar cast and brilliant first 2 seasons has to be enough to get it till its fifth season right??


Guilty Pleasure

I had some time last weekend and decided to watch the new season of 90210, just some mindless TV to semi watch whilst I did other things. I've watched bits of the first season and whilst it was fun to watch, it was hardly quality TV. However the show has recently been taken over by Rebecca Sinclair who is known for her work on Buffy and Gilmore Girls and given somewhat of a re-boot, and she has done a great job in turning the show around. Now this is hardly award winning TV, but she has sorted out a lot of last seasons problems by getting rid of characters and turning annoying characters into less annoying ones (Annie). She also added an element of consistent friendships to the show between the boys and the girls instead of last years flitting from friend to friend. Its also pretty funny to watch, especially Navid and Dixon, who bounce off each other pretty well.
The new credits are also pretty awesome I love the retro vibe and the cool laid back song:


So far I think this will definitely be a show I'll watch when I have a little time, especially since I don't mind watching it in bits or skipping the boring bits!!

2 comments:

shawnlunn2002 said...

Brothers and Sisters definitely deserves to go to at least five seasons and I'd be sad to see it go.

It wouldn't surprise me about Dollhouse though. It was a pure fluke that it got a second season but lightening rarely strikes twice TV wise.

Great blog.

Nat said...

Thanks. Hopefully ABC will keep faith in B&S.

Yeah it would be a major surprise if Fox kept Dollhouse for another season.