Sunday 31 January 2010

Mini Reviews- January 31st

With lots of new TV shows starting I thought it was about time I start doing min-reviews of the shows I'm watching. Hopefully I'll get time to do all of them weekly but if not I'll try and do at least a few!

Desperate Housewives- 6x01 Nice is Different Than Good


A decent premiere episode from the sixth season of Housewives. The Mike/Susan storyline felt eternally silly to me, Susan is a real bitch for marrying Mike just two months after he dumps Katherine, though she does redeem herself at the wedding. Still I'm totally on Katherine's side and can't wait to see a little bit of crazy Katherine.
Bree's affair was so so, Gabby's wars with niece Ana were hilarious and quite sweet especially with the signing of the guardianship papers. Liked Lynette's storyline about not loving her twins, very interesting storyline and kept the silliness of this episode grounded. The new family led by former Soprano Drea Di Mateo were okay, but not enough was shown to really form an opinion of them. Liked the time jumping aspect as it kept the episode moving a long at a nice pace.

Brothers and Sisters- 4x01/02/03 The Road Ahead/ Breaking the News/ Almost Normal

The season started off fairly light with Justin and Rebecca's engagement party which was suitable ludarious for the Walkers. The second and third episodes were a lot more interesting and emotional with news of Kitty's cancer. The whole cast do a great job, especially in the third episode but Calista Flockhart, Rob Lowe and Sally Field are really bringing their A-game. I'm really looking forward to this storyline playing out over the season Kevin and Scotty are moving towards having a child, which is a great storyline for them but I hope they keep moving at a slow pace as they have been. Rob and Kitty were able to adopt very quickly and it felt rushed last season.
I love Justin at medical school; it gives him real direction and decent storylines. Everything at Ojai feels a little bit over the top- is business really conducted with so many machinations and underhand dealings as they are at Ojai?!
The three episodes really felt sibling-lite with Tommy gone completely, Ryan gone from two and Sarah making only brief appearances. Glad the latter has returned to the fold.

Greek- 3x11 I Know What You Did Last Semester

A great return from the students of Cyprus Rhodes, the show was on good form. Whilst the girls involvement with last years fire was quite ridiculous (what was up with Casey telling Cappie?! not very sisterly of her, considering they'd made a pact) but the rest of the storylines were good. I liked Evan and Rebecca's growing relationship with out it being sickly sweet like most other relationships. Cappie dealing with the loss of his brothers was realistic- though are they really gone? If so I'm sad, I liked Wade and Jeremy, Kappa Tau will be a worse of place with out them. Rusty was good as pledge educator but I must admit I was sad that he won the science award over Dale. Poor Dale- I hope they don't forget about him this chapter like they did the last. Also poor Ashleigh, breaking up with Fisher, though I would have preferred it to happen on screen in a more organic way rather than him cheating in her. Maybe we'll see a darker Ashleigh as a result. Liked Calvin and Grant dancing at the ball, though Grant was very dark after a small prank played by their brothers- he seems a bit psychotic!

Scrubs- 9x11 Our Dear Leaders

Great episode, which sadly could be one of the last aired- they shouldn't have brought Zach Braff back at all this season, proved to be a big mistake.
Turk was funny with his jealously over the superstar surgeon but he showed real growth when he took Denise's advice and volunteered as his assistant. Speaking off Denise and Drew whilst avoiding each other for most of the episode seemed to work some stuff out and by the end of the episode they are a lot more solid. Lucy was hilarious in her role of power as was Drew trying to stay away from them. All the med school students work very well together in terms of cast. I also loved Dr Cox in his nice mentor role, its rare to see and shows a new side of him.

Skins- 4x01 Thomas

A terrific opening episode. Thomas is easily my favourite character from this cast making the others seem like stupid, spoilt children. Merveille Lukeba does a great job as emotionally confused Thomas who has to bear the burden of taking care of his family as well as fitting in with his new friends at school. I was rooting for him and Andrea and I'm sad that he decided he loved Pandora at the end as they don't really seem to fit together as a couple any more. The others were unduly harsh on Thomas, they seem to have forgotten that Pandora had an on-going affair with Cook just last year, but Thomas got very little sympathy from that.
The opening sequence was amazing and I'm sure the impacts from that girls drug-fuelled death will continue to be felt for the rest of the series. This episode set the tone for a much darker fourth series which should be good.

3 comments:

shawnlunn2002 said...

I've done something a little similar to what you've done here as well. Good choices, though I haven't been watching Scrubs or Greek. Will this be a regular thing?

Nat said...

Yeah hopefully if I get time. I won't do everything I'm watching (as its quite a lot atm!) but at least a few episodes.

Anonymous said...

Pοst wrіting іs also a еxcitеment, if
yοu be familіar ωith afterward you can
wгite or else іt is сomρlicateԁ
to wrіte.

My ωebpage: Lloyd Irvin