Sunday 26 September 2010

Mini Reviews- September 26th

As you can see from my About Me section to the right of the page, my TV watching has severely increased over the last week, with many of my favourite TV shows starting recently. I will try and blog mini reviews about them every week- time permitting. I also watched a couple of pilots this week, that I will continue with as the season progresses. I will try to watch a few other pilots and review them over the next couple of weeks.

90210- 3x01/3x02 "Senior Year Baby" and "Age Of Inheritance"
The third season kicked off last week, mostly dealing with the events of the finale and how they would impact on the characters. The biggest storyline is perhaps Naomi's who is not dealing well with her rape at the hands of Mr Cannon. She attempted to talk to the police about it, but when this didn't work a stream of booze, sex exploits, flirting with Teddy and throwing a big birthday bash ensued, none of which went well.
The writers wisely got rid of Adrianna's brief fling from last year, Javier, in a dramatic car crash. Her stealing his songs was obviously a bad move and I'm just waiting to see how it will crash and burn around her.
Annie and Liam continue to tip toe around each other which is frankly a little boring. Liam's half brother doesn't necessarily make this love triangle more interesting, though I am intrigued to see his history with Liam. Other yawnsville storylines include Ryan and Jen, who quite frankly no-one cares about any more.
Ivy, now a full time character, is now lusting after new bad boy with a bad accent Oscar, who deliciously and in true 90210 style is sleeping with her mother. Can't wait to see this one blow up!
Silver has rather swiftly broken up with Teddy who after injuring himself has taken to drinking. Though I understand her own history with alcoholics, considering he's basically lost his career, she's being very judgmental. That makes it a little harder to care therefore when Mr Cannon has set his eyes squarely on her. As a villain goes he's pretty effectively and I almost hope they don't do away with him too soon.
NB After 7 years of having others play themselves with him in character Adrian Grenier had to play himself as his and performed at Naomi's birthday- he proved that playing yourself, is a lot harder than it looks.

Chuck- 3x16/3x17 "Chuck versus The Tooth" and "Chuck versus the Living Dead"

The show is definitely kicking it up a few gears with now pretty much everyone bar Ellie in knowledge of Chuck's secret and Ellie get caught up in the spy game too. It makes for a much more interesting show, but I can't help that feel that the show is marking it's own ending date by doing this, as it's changed the show forever. Chuck going mad is an interesting way to go with the Intersect and it makes sense, but it seems underplayed and not really like it's taken seriously. However I do like that Morgan knows as it's much more satisfying watching him be the geek in the spy world.


How I Met Your Mother- 6x01 "Big Days"
The creators promised us a return to form and I think we got it. Set primarily in McLarens, we saw the gang get up to their usual shenanigans, but in a funny and heartwarming way, with all characters getting ample screen time. The flashforwards that bookended the episode which revealed that Ted would meet the Mother at a wedding in which he was a best man were exciting though I don't think the commonplace theory that this is Barney and Robin's wedding day. Though it would make sense and the clues were obviously placed there, I hope it's not as I really can't see the couple getting married, much less in a all the frills church service!

Modern Family- 2x01 "The Old Wagon"
I'm happy to say that the show hasn't allowed it's success to go to it's head (though admittedly this episode was shot pre Emmy win) and this was another funny and endearing episode of the show. It was a fairly quiet episode, not necessarily one where a lot happened, but it was funny and very true to the characters. Good to have you back, Modern Family.


The Inbetweeners 3x01/3x02 "The Fashion Show" and "The Gig and The Girlfriend"

And finally not to forget this incredibly funny UK comedy, the show has proven they are one of the funniest things on TV period. Though the first episode got off to a rocky start, the second was hilarious throughout and very much classic Inbetweeners. Though I can't personally identify with the drugs storyline in the second episode, it was very true to life and very funny.

Dexter- 4x01/02/03/04 "Living The Dream", "Reamains to Be Seen", "Blinded by the Light" and "Dex takes a Holiday"
I finally managed to begin Dexter and the best thing about starting it late is that I was able to watch a few episodes all at once. A lot has happened this season already, what with Lundy being shot in the fourth episode. I've enjoyed Dexter's family stuff as it's been very fun to watch him grapple with being a dad. I love that finally Dexter is realising that he does enjoy being a dad and having family around; it's about time he realises what we already know. The Angel/Maria storyline has also been enjoyable though most people don't seem to think so. The Trinty killer stuff is completely terrifying and creepy though, not surprised John Lithgow won an Emmy for the role.

3 comments:

shawnlunn2002 said...

Dexter's fourth season is turning into quite a good season. I'll catch up with Modern Family when Sky1 air it but it looks good.

Nat said...

I'm quite enjoying the season atm. However because I know how it ends up I'm not really sure how we get from the point the show is now up until that one, so I'm intrigued.

Anonymous said...

Hey bro you have share here such a brilliant post in a great manner. I really appreciate your work. I am a big fan of tv shows and How I Met Your Mother TV Show is mine all time favorite show. Thanks.