Saturday 6 February 2010

Suit Up- It's going to be Legen -wait for it- dary!


I'm not sure if I've explicitly mentioned it before in my blogs but I've definitely thought it; How I Met Your Mother has a great cast (Whedon-alums Alyson Hannigan and Neil Patrick Harris) and has a lot of critical praise. So why don't I find it funny? I've watched episodes before and never really warmed to it.

Until last weekend.

Looking for something to watch I watched a couple of episodes and I still didn't find it laugh out loud funny. Then I watched the pilot and I finally 'got' it. I'm not really sure what 'it' was, but since then I've been watching episodes every night (completely out of order) and I completely love this show. I'm laughing out loud a lot watching episodes and I'm finding the characters more and more endearing.

For me this is very similar to my 'discovering' of Gavin and Stacey. I didn't like the show the first time I watched it but after watching a few, I'm loving it. I think this is the thing with comedies, (good ones obviously) the more you watch, the more the characters become familiar and lovable and the more you understand and 'get' the humour.

So anyway now I'm addicted to the show. Whilst the show is similar to Scrubs in terms of characters (Lily/Marshall comparable to Carla/Turk as the stable couple and Ted similar to JD as the searching for love young guy) and very similar in themes to Friends (close group of friends meet at the same place all the time, live in New York), the retrospective and mystery of the mother angle to it, keeps the show fresh and new. Plus it feels like the grown-up version of Friends almost, they are repeatedly shown drinking, they smoke and one night stand happen frequently and unashamedly (mostly for Barney). Speaking of, Barney is one of my favourite characters. There aren't many characters on TV so crass and yet so utterly charming, which is mostly down to his portrayal by the excellent Neil Patrick Harris.



I'm also loving the numerous tie ins with the show including:

Barney's Blog

Barney's Bro Code
- I'm not a bro but I really want to get the audio version of this!

and the various websites featured in the show:

http://www.guyforceshiswifetodressinagarbagebagforthenextthreeyears.com/


http://marshallandlilywedding.com/

http://www.itwasthebestnightever.com/


This is a great show and I thoroughly recommend trying it out. It isn't the most intelligent show but its funny and so feelgood!!

No comments: