Sunday 25 July 2010

2010 Season Reviews Part 3: Grey's Anatomy

Grey's Anatomy Season 6

Before starting this review, I have to say that this is the first season of Grey's that I've ever properly watched from start to finish. I should also say that during watching this season I caught up on the previous 5 seasons; not in the right order of course (that would be too sensible!). So my opinion on the season probably changed in the course of me watching it.

However I can safely say that this was one of the most enjoyable seasons I have watched this year. It definitely became the programme I look forward too most every week. Many fans of the show dislike the revolving cast, but as it's a medical show, I think a large and changing cast is important to keep the show fresh- especially as all they seem to only be able to form relationships/ sleep with people from the hospital, making it nearly essential to draw in new blood every so often.

Newbies came in the form of the Mercy Wester's- though bizarrely only residents seemed to transfer. The new bunch of residents were a mixed bunch, but they generally grew on me Avery, especially (for obvious reasons perhaps!).


However, the cast first had to be thinned out a little in the form of Izzie and Geroge. Due to their off screen diva behaviour I wasn't that said to see either leave the show. Even back watching the past episodes, for me personally, seeing George die at the beginning of the season wasn't that sad and it actually propelled the story a little (though admittedly by the end of the season he had practically been forgotten). I was a little more sad to see Izzie leave, but mostly because I love her relationship with Alex and the reasons she left weren't amazing so unfortunately that storyline wasn't as enjoyable to watch.

Pretty much all the characters were in 'healthy' relationships for the most part this season- Meredith and Derek, were stable, which frankly is a relief to see. It also gave Derek a chance to become a more interesting character as we saw his ascension and struggles as Chief. In light of the finale (more on that below), I'm not sure how much longer he will continue in that role, but it's been fun to watch.
Christina and Owen were fairly stable until Teddy came along. Unlike most people I don't have a problem with Teddy, but it is a little annoying when she doesn't have enough chemistry with Owen to make you believe in them as even a potential couple.
Callie and Arizona were sweet throughout the season and worked very well as a couple. The tussle towards the end of the season over whether or not to have kids, was a little too conveniently worked out at the end of the finale, but they're such a sweet couple together, I'll accept that.
Mark and Lexie as equally sweet couple also struggled this season, with the arrival of Mark's irritating pregnant daughter. Hers was probably my least favourite storyline of the year, as it seemed a little out of the blue and it was all over the place with her coming and going. I'm rooting for Mark and Lexie to get back together next season though, especially as Alex and Lexie never truly worked together.
I also enjoyed seeing Bailey have a shot at happiness with Ben. I liked her girlish enthusiasm and nerves set against her hard professional persona.
Richard's struggle with alcohol was also interesting to watch, especially in light of the flashback episode. I would've liked to have seen him struggle for longer, but the writers played it quite well.

Ellen Pompeo's pregnancy gave the writers a unique and cleverly capitalized upon opportunity to, show of the rest of the cast and focus on them more. The other cast members shined and the various special episodes (mostly revolving around flashbacks) were well done. My favourite was the medical lectures one in which we got to see Bailey's, Callie's and Richard's and Ellis's pasts. It was a hugely emotional and rewarding episode.

The biggest special episode(s) were undoubtedly the finale. The storyline was cleverly built up, from the disgruntled husband's case of the week storyline to him suing Derek, to eventually him reigning chaos in the hospital. The death's of Reed and Percy were sad, seeing as they were beginning to become likable, but death's were necessary. Alex/Derek/Owen's shootings were each as shocking as the other and even though I knew none of them would ever be killed off- it was still nerve wracking to watch. The two hours were excellent, full of tense drama and emotion, with both cast and writers showing what they are fully capable of. How the show will top that I don't know, but I look forward to them trying next season.

2 comments:

shawnlunn2002 said...

These season overviews are absolutely brilliant and while I don't watch Grey's Anatomy as passionately as other shows, Season 6 was mostly okay with me. Good finale in it and I liked the flashback episode.

Nat said...

Thanks! I've run out of 2010 season reviews to do as I've either done reviews for the end of series of season already (Greek/Dollhouse) or I'm still watching/waiting (Chuck/Entourage/Dexter/Ugly Betty).

I think I'm in the minority when liking season 6, probably because it was the first season I watched properly.