Wednesday 23 September 2009

Buffy and Angel Rewatch part 5

2.05 Reptile Boy

A gross snake like demon with a college twist. This episode and the reasons behind what boys were sacrificing girls for, is not too dissimilar to the Angel episode 'Expecting' where there men also made offerings (in a way!) to get them money, power etc. It was quite an enjoyable episode, Xander dressed as a women dancing was especially funny, but I thought this was fairly standard and predictable. (7/10)


2.06 Halloween

A fun episode; the turning into costumes thing was a good idea and they left just enough of the cast knowing who they were to keep the story flowing. Its also the first episode for Ethan Rayne, a really interesting foil for Giles, its a shame he doesn't appear more but maybe that's a good thing as he is a little annoying. The Buffy/Angel relationship is already getting a little tiresome, both a quite simpering towards each other already (luckily it doesn't last for too long!) I enjoyed the Cordy/Angel stuff, retrospectively its foreshadowing their future relationship. (8/10)


2.07 Lie To Me

I wasn't that looking forward to this episode because I've seen it a few times (more than I've seen a lot of Buffy episodes) but I actually enjoyed it. It starts of as a bit of a farcical episode but due to Ford's brain cancer and Buffy having to slay him at the end of the episode it becomes a lot more interesting and sympathetic. I enjoyed delving a bit more into Drusilla's past with Angelus and her relationship with Spike. She's such a fearsome villain, its intriguing to explore her when she isn't killing people left right and centre. (7.5/10)


2.08 The Dark Age

The first Giles centred episode- not that he has many. I'm not really sure if I like this episode, on one hand I enjoyed the role reversal, on the other they didn't really go deep enough into Giles' past to really sell the story. I would've liked to see some Giles as Ripper with Ethan and the others in 1970's London (1960's?) Its a shame as the outcome of the episode Jenny recoiling from Giles was very interesting if not a bit sad to see. I also enjoyed Giles and Buffy bonding and his determination to protect her. (7.5/10)

1 comment:

shawnlunn2002 said...

Some interesting episodes here. Reptile Boy and The Dark Age are pretty good on repeats and Halloween and Lie To Me are just brilliant. I like Ethan and it's often a shame he didn't get more to do on the series.